Hooper was, quite simply,
the best; in any discussion of Britain's top coachbuilders
it was not simply on everyone's list, it was at the top
- possibly for elegance of line, probably for quality of
workmanship, certainly for an unequalled combination. Hooper's
designs would rarely have been described as sleek or racy;
the epiphets most frequently applied would have been dignified
or elegant. Nothing was too much trouble to satisfy the
whims of a customer. But as for cost...."if you have
to ask the price, you can't afford it".
Hooper, perhaps more than any other coachbuilding
firm, founded its reputation on royal patronage. Established
in 1805, with premises in Haymarket, London, it held royal
warrants to the British sovereigns in an unbroken sequence
from 1830 until the closure of the original company in 1959.
With almost a century of experience, Hooper
bodied its first horseless carriages before 1900 and its
first motor car for the British royal family, a Daimler,
for King Edward VII in 1904. By this time Hooper had established
showrooms at the top of St James' in London and its Chelsea
factory was the biggest of its kind in London.
Between the two world wars, Hooper constructed
limousines, landaulettes, broughams, sedancas, saloons and
coupes with much success. Increased demand led to a second
factory in West London, so that in the peak year of 1936
over 300 bodies were produced (a seemingly miniscule number
by today's standards, but huge by the standards of bespoke
coachbuilders). As the "Times" said at this time,
Hooper's list of royal and distinguished patrons was "unequalled
by any other coachbuilder in the world", including
as it did the Emperor of Japan, the King of Egypt and the
Shah of Persia.
In 1938 Hooper purchased the prestigious
firm of Barkers from the receivers and during WWII was itself
bought by the BSA combine, which included Daimler cars,
then the holders of the royal warrant for motor car manufacture
and on which chassis Hooper had built many cars. There now
followed a a period in Hooper's history which was even more
glamorous, although perhaps slightly less dignified. At
successive London motor shows in the early 1950s, one of
the star attractions would be the latest Docker Daimler,
designed for Lady Docker, wife of the BSA chairman, by Osmond
Rivers, Hooper's chief designer. At a time of grey, post-war
austerity the coachwork was sure to contain some outrageous,
attention-grabbing feature such as gold plated fittings
or zebra skin upholstery designed to attract maximum press
coverage.
Despite technical advances
and River "New Look" or "Empress Line"
being the dominant style in British coachbuilding from 1948,
when Hooper learned from Roll-Royce in 1959 that the successor
to the Silver Cloud would not have a chassis, it realised
that its era of traditional coachbuilding had come to an
end. It continued to provide services and spares until 1970,
when it was appointed a R-R distributor. In 1981 it became
an officially approved R-R coachbuilder and underwent a
rebirth, creating a series of limousines and 2 door coupes
which rivalled in exoticism and extravagance any coachwork
of Hooper's halcyon days. Most recently it merged with the
old established dealer Jack Alpe to become Hooper Alpe Ltd.